Bananas aren’t only for monkeys. In reality, amongst people, they’re probably the most common fruits on the planet — and for a very good cause. They’re scrumptious, cheap, and they even are available their very own handy packaging.
But is that this scrumptious fruit good for you? Are they sustainable? And are there any downsides to this beloved fruit, aside from the hazard of slipping and falling on a peel? And what are among the greatest methods to get pleasure from bananas?
History of Bananas
Bananas are the fruit of the Musa acuminata plant. The phrase “acuminata” means tapering or long-pointed and refers back to the flowers, not the fruit itself. Before the banana was known as the banana, across the 17th century, it was named “banema” in Guinea.
Bananas initially got here from the Indo-Malaysian area, stretching all the way down to northern Australia. Historians guess that folks began spreading the marvel of edible bananas within the Mediterranean area within the third century, B.C. It wasn’t till the 10th century, A.D., that bananas are presumed to have first arrived in Europe and started their unfold across the globe.
Today, bananas and plantains — quite a lot of banana that comprises much less sugar and a considerable amount of starch, and that are edible solely after cooking — are grown in each tropical area. They are the most important fruit crop on the planet.
And although most of us are solely acquainted with “regular” yellow bananas we discover on the grocery retailer, there are literally a whole bunch of types of this fruit. There are apple bananas, crimson bananas, orange bananas, silk bananas, and many extra. But most of us don’t get the good thing about all this variety. Nearly all of the bananas you’re more likely to discover at your native retailer are literally clones of 1 single cultivar, referred to as the Cavendish banana.
The yellow bananas most of us have recognized and cherished are literally a mutant pressure of plantains. They had been by accident found by a Jamaican chef named Jean Francois Poujot in 1836, who started cultivating the candy yellow bananas after discovering considered one of his plantain varieties had mutated.
Bananas are stuffed with vitamins. They’re particularly excessive in nutritional vitamins and minerals similar to potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and magnesium.
They are additionally a very good supply of fiber, a nutrient that most individuals lack of their weight-reduction plan.
An common medium-sized banana has the next dietary profile:
- Calories: 105
- Protein: 1 gram
- Total Fat: zero grams
- Total Carbohydrates: 27 grams
- Fiber: three grams
- Vitamin C: 13% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin B6: 22% of the DV
- Potassium: 12% of the DV
- Manganese: 16% of the DV
- Magnesium: eight% of the DV
An common banana additionally comprises round 14 grams of sugar. However, it’s vital to notice that these are pure sugars, not added sugars like these present in baked items and packaged snack meals. Because fruit sugars are sure up in fibrous cell partitions and include water, so that they don’t have the identical blood glucose stage impression that processed sugars do. And along with these 14 grams of pure sugars, a mean banana additionally offers six grams of fiber, which helps stop spikes in your blood sugar while you eat it.
6 Health Benefits of Bananas
Bananas have been the topic of many research evaluating their potential well being advantages — significantly research trying on the minerals of which they’re a wealthy supply. Some of probably the most well-researched potential advantages of bananas embrace:
1. May be protecting for coronary heart well being.
A big physique of analysis tells us that low ranges of potassium in your physique have a powerful correlation to the chance of upper blood stress. But the excellent news is that getting sufficient potassium — by consuming potassium-rich meals — might help preserve your blood stress at wholesome ranges. Potassium might also defend blood vessels from thickening and turning into broken from atherosclerosis. And bananas are probably the most potassium-rich meals within the human weight-reduction plan.
They are additionally a very good supply of magnesium, a mineral recognized to play a job in coronary heart well being. Research signifies that magnesium deficiency correlates with hypertension and excessive ranges of blood fat, for instance.
You’ll additionally discover antioxidants like catechins and dopamine in bananas, which have been studied for his or her potential to decrease coronary heart illness danger.
2. May assist temper stability and restful sleep.
Research suggests weight-reduction plan wealthy in potassium-containing meals (like bananas) might allow you to sleep higher. A 2018 research revealed in Hypertension Research discovered that people who had much less potassium of their blood skilled sleep patterns that had been extra disturbed and much less restful.
Bananas additionally include tryptophan, an amino acid and pure sedative that converts to serotonin, a sleep-promoting neurotransmitter. Similarly, a 2013 research discovered that tropical fruits, together with bananas, elevated melatonin ranges — a sleep-promoting hormone.
This fruit can be considerable in magnesium and vitamin B6, which might each help in calming your thoughts and selling restful sleep. Between the potassium, magnesium, tryptophan, melatonin, and B6 in bananas, there’s good cause to consider they might help you get pleasure from a very good evening’s sleep.
three. May promote wholesome digestion.
A 2011 research performed amongst 34 chubby however in any other case wholesome girls, discovered that incorporating bananas every day may enhance gastrointestinal well being. The girls had been divided into three teams wherein they acquired both one banana, one banana-flavored drink, or one cup of water within the management group. The contributors assigned to the banana group skilled considerably much less bloating and barely elevated ranges of bifidobacteria — “good” micro organism in your intestine which can be typically utilized in probiotics — of their stool.
Furthermore, bananas include two primary forms of fiber: pectin and resistant starch. While starch is most concentrated in inexperienced and unripe bananas, pectin will increase as bananas ripen. Some analysis signifies that pectin could also be protecting with regards to colon most cancers, and that resistant starch helps to feed the “good” micro organism in your intestine.
four. May assist assist wholesome weight reduction and upkeep.
While there aren’t plenty of research on the connection between banana consumption and weight reduction, they do provide traits which can be recognized to assist a wholesome weight.
Bananas are low in energy, coming in at round 100 energy on common. They’re excessive in fiber, a nutrient that helps you’re feeling fuller longer between meals and might assist stop overeating. The resistant starch in bananas might particularly assist hold your urge for food at bay. And, as you’ll have found in case you’ve ever blended or mashed a banana and seen its quantity lower considerably, bananas really include plenty of air, which can additionally stimulate that “full” feeling.
5. May assist wholesome bones.
Evidence reveals that potassium-rich diets can have protecting results on bone well being. Although the precise cause for that is nonetheless up for debate, many researchers suppose it’s as a result of potassium prevents calcium resorption.
6. May have anticancer properties.
Bananas are a wealthy supply of lectins, carbohydrate-binding proteins which were studied for his or her potential skill to kill most cancers cells. (There are a number of authors right this moment who warn in opposition to lectins, however such warnings are largely misguided.)
One research revealed within the journal Molecules in 2014 particularly examined lectins in bananas. The authors reported that lectins have the potential for suppressing most cancers cell proliferation.
Potential Downsides to Eating Bananas
While bananas have plenty of potential advantages to supply, there are additionally a number of downsides to concentrate on.
When it involves your well being, there are a few issues to concentrate on with regards to answering the query: “are bananas good for you?”
- A number of individuals report experiencing complications after consuming plenty of bananas. Keep in thoughts that these had been self-reported and not from scientific research. However, it could be associated to a compound known as tyramine, derived from the amino acid tyrosine. Anecdotally, the hyperlink between consuming bananas and experiencing complications appears to be extra frequent amongst people who find themselves susceptible to complications and migraines generally.
- Extreme overconsumption of this fruit may improve your danger for hyperkalemia — or extreme blood potassium ranges. One case research noticed a person with hyperkalemia on account of consuming 20 bananas per day. But until you usually sit all the way down to 20 bananas at a sitting, this doubtless isn’t a significant concern for you.
- Also, due to their excessive sugar content material, bananas can contribute to tooth decay. So be sure you apply good dental hygiene after consuming one.
The backside line: As with all issues, hearken to your individual physique. One or two bananas every day is ok on your potassium ranges. And if bananas provide you with complications, you would possibly wish to lower down or get rid of them out of your weight-reduction plan.
Large-scale industrial banana manufacturing impacts the surroundings in some regarding methods, together with:
- Like a lot of contemporary agriculture, a majority of the world’s banana harvest comes from large-scale monoculture farming operations. Growing a single crop over a protracted interval depletes the soil. And monocropped soil tends to endure extra agricultural contamination, as the identical fertilizers and chemical compounds are added to it, yr after yr, resulting in accumulation of heavy metals, nitrates, and salts, which can even decrease the soil’s skill to assist crops struggle off pests or stand up to blight.
- Bananas are sometimes sprayed with massive quantities of pesticides. In reality, some banana farms obtain almost 60 pesticide purposes yearly. This shouldn’t be solely a priority for customers but additionally the encircling surroundings and ecosystems which can be negatively impacted.
- Between 1968 and 2017, world banana manufacturing grew from 28.eight million to 113 million tons. As customers purchase extra bananas, there’s a hazard that rainforests and different delicate ecosystems could also be destroyed with the intention to create extra land on which to develop them. India and China each doubled their land use for banana harvesting between 2000 and 2015.
The backside line: Get natural bananas every time attainable as a result of natural banana farming avoids the usage of artificial pesticides and tends to be extra sustainable.
There are additionally some social and financial issues to make when consuming bananas:
- Workers within the banana trade are chronically underpaid, elevating an vital moral difficulty for customers.
- Child labor — outlined by working circumstances which can be more likely to negatively have an effect on a baby’s bodily and psychological well being, social circumstances, and training — is widespread within the banana trade. Children who work within the banana trade, typically as younger as eight years previous, are regularly uncovered to pesticides, paid minimally, and robbed of the chance to realize the training they should pull their households out of intergenerational poverty.
- Many employees within the banana trade in growing international locations, 43% of whom are females, report office harassment. Female employees on this trade additionally expertise decrease pay and much less job stability than males doing the identical jobs.
The backside line: Get fairtrade bananas every time you’ll be able to. Bananas carrying this mark have are produced in methods and areas that meet social, environmental, and financial requirements that assist employees’ rights and contribute to a wholesome, moral, and sustainable world.
How to Store Bananas Properly
Even although bananas include their very own handy packaging, there are nonetheless sure circumstances wherein they’re greatest saved.
Here are some issues to bear in mind while you deliver your bananas house:
- If you’ve greater than you’ll be able to eat earlier than they get overripe, lower and freeze them in an hermetic bag (similar to these silicone ones) for later use in smoothies or desserts like home made ice cream.
- For further ease of use later, you’ll be able to peel, lower, and freeze the banana chunks on a tray lined with parchment paper, and then toss them right into a freezer bag as soon as they’re frozen. That manner, you don’t find yourself with a large lump of frozen banana that requires a crowbar to separate.
- When you purchase a bunch of bananas, the entire bunch tends to ripen at precisely the identical time. Store a number of bunches in numerous rooms, ideally with totally different temperatures, as hotter temperatures make them ripen sooner. If you solely purchase one bunch at a time, you’ll be able to separate them into single bananas. Just don’t cowl them with mail or neglect the place you saved them.
- Bananas launch ethylene gasoline, which makes different fruits ripen extra rapidly. Keep them away from different fruit until you’re in a rush to ripen them. To sluggish bananas from ripening, you’ll be able to place them in a preserving field or bag (like this one). These forms of containers hold oxygen out, whereas offering the correct quantity of insulation, and management the discharge of ethylene gasoline to maintain bananas yellow for so long as attainable.
- To velocity the ripening of bananas, you’ll be able to place them in a paper bag.
- Unless you’re freezing them, you may not wish to put bananas within the fridge or expose them to chilly, as a result of chilly breaks down the cell partitions of a banana’s peel, and turns them black.
- If you’ve already peeled your bananas and have to retailer them within the fridge, dip them in lemon juice to assist protect them longer and hold them from browning.
- Use a banana hanger to show a complete bunch of bananas at a jaunty angle, and to assist wholesome air circulation.
Creative Ways to Enjoy Bananas
Did you realize which you can really eat bananas of their entirety — together with the peel?
As it seems, the banana peel is wealthy in vitamins like potassium, fiber, important amino acids, polyunsaturated fat, and antioxidants. But needless to say many industrial bananas are contaminated with massive quantities of pesticides, so in case you plan to eat banana peel, it is a superb cause to ensure it’s natural.
Here are some enjoyable and other ways to eat bananas that may be pleasing for the entire household:
- In baked items, like muffins, bread, and even desserts
- In curries (e.g., Indian, Tanzanian, Caribbean) which have a sweeter style
- In frozen desserts, like “n’ice cream” or entire with the ends dipped in darkish chocolate
- Sliced on oatmeal alongside different wholesome toppers, like berries, nuts, raisins, seeds, or unsweetened coconut flakes
- Sliced and stacked on a scrumptious nut butter and banana sandwich
- Made into “banana boats” by slicing them lengthwise in half, slathering with nut butter, and sprinkling with chia, hemp, or flax seeds. Kids (and adults who was children) love this scrumptious and tasty snack.
- In smoothies, both as frozen chunks or entire room temperature bananas
If you select to eat the banana peel, you should definitely wash it first and take away the stem. You can throw it into smoothies or eat it uncooked in case you like. Some individuals get pleasure from boiled banana peels.
Healthy Banana Recipes to Try
Here are some recipes that use bananas in artistic methods:
Chocolate Crepes with Banana by ElaVegan
Yum! This simple recipe rolls entire bananas in a tasty chocolate crepe drizzled with a peanut butter unfold that’s good as a snack, breakfast, or perhaps a dessert.
Creamy Chocolate Breakfast Shake by Minimalist Baker
Smoothies are unbelievable autos for vitamin, and this recipe isn’t any totally different. It combines bananas, strawberries, and spinach with almond milk, almond butter, and flaxseed meal, leading to a creamy and satisfying drink.
Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies by Running on Real Food
Did you realize mashed bananas can change eggs in baked items like cookies? This recipe is much more spectacular in that it solely requires bananas, oats, and peanut butter, with some tasty add-ins for extra taste and texture.
Fruit Salad Kabobs by The Vegan eight
Sometimes presenting fruit in a artistic manner could make all of the distinction. This recipe layers sliced bananas with different scrumptious fruit to make kabobs with a tasty chocolate sunflower dip.
One-Dish Caribbean Coconut And Banana Curry Traybake by Sneaky Veg
Bananas additionally work properly in additional savory dishes and entrees, like this one-dish meal alongside coconut milk, chickpeas, squash, and smoky seasonings.
Banana Peel Bacon by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
You might have heard of plant-based bacon created from tempeh or seitan, however what about banana peels? This is an intriguing recipe that flavors the peels with soy sauce, maple syrup, paprika, and garlic.
So are Bananas Good for You?
Bananas are, for sure, probably the most well-known and extensively consumed fruits world wide. Not solely are they nutritious, however consuming them seems to be good on your coronary heart, your digestive system, your waistline, and even your sleep patterns. But industrial banana plantations aren’t recognized for treating employees properly and are sometimes excessive in pesticide contamination and unhealthy for the surroundings. So in case you’re going to get pleasure from bananas, truthful commerce and organically grown are particularly vital. And bananas can be utilized in some artistic and enjoyable methods, in the whole lot from smoothies to desserts to savory entrees — peel and all!
Tell us within the feedback:
- Do you eat bananas? Why or why not?
- What’s your favourite approach to eat bananas?
Featured picture: iStock.com/vicnt